Hello everyone, I am the webmaster for www.nissansonly.com and a proud owner of a 1996 Nissan 300zx Convertible.
Today i will show you how to change both PCV valves on a 300zx. Today I had to give my 1996 z32 a tuneup to pass the emission test. One way to help you pass the emission test, is to change the PCV(Positive Crankcase Valve) valve.
If this post has helped you, please post your reply, I appreciate any feedback. If i get good feedback, i want to do do more howto's like this one in the future. - thanks

Replace PCV Valve in 13 Easy Steps:

1. First step is to remove the oil dip stick. Here are the locations of both valves:
PCV Picure

2. Using a pair of needle nose pliers, remove the tension clip from the PCV valve hose:
PCV Picure

3. Once you have moved the clip away from the PVC valve and into the middle of the hose, you can remove the hose. I use a big screw driver to pry out the hose. NOTE: if the hose is hard, your best bet is to cut it and buy a new one. If this is the first time you are changing your pvc, the hose is most likely very hard by now. I change the PVC valves every two years, so the hoses are flexible in my car, so I use a screw driver to get is out of the PVC valve:
PCV Picure

4. Once you have pry out the hose, it should be easy to remove the other end of the hose:
PCV Picure

5. Next, you will need a 19mm deep socket to remove the PCV valve.
PCV Picure

6. Once you have your 19mm deep socket and ratchet, ready, loosen the valve:
PCV Picure

7. Once you have removed the old valve, shake it, it should rattle if its good. In my case, the it did not rattle at all, which means the valve was defective and it needed to be replaced. here is the new and the old valve
PCV Picure

8. Since mine bad defective i went to the local auto parts store near me and purchase two valves.
PCV Picure

9. Now install the new valve. IMPORTANT: make sure you start to thread it by hand first. otherwise you might ruin the threads.
PCV Picure

10. Now do the passenger side:
PCV Picure

11. Remove the valve the same way by using a big screw driver to pry it the hose from the valve:

IMPORTANT: as you can see from this picture, the valve is not actually threaded all the way it, the valve is designed to screw into the intake manifold about half way, DO NOT OVER TIGHT the valve, or else you run the risk of breaking your intake manifold.

PCV Picure

12. Now remove the valve with a 19mm socket and a ratchet. This time you will need to use and extension to make it easy to get it out.
PCV Picure

13. Once you have removed the valve with the racket, install the new PVC valve with the new one. Make sure to start installing the new valve by hand first, otherwise you run the risk of ruining the threads.
PCV Picure

INFO: you're most likely not be able to find the hoses at your local auto parts store. i tried these places but they don't sell them: napa auto parts, kragen, autozone, pepboys - so you're best is to go to the local dealer and buy them. another option is to buy them online, courtesyparts.com have them cheaper.

DONE: If this post has helped you, please post your feedback here. I would like to know if this has helped anyone so that I may post howto's in the future. Thanks

Hope this helps.

Courstesy: www.nissansonly.com