IRS Toll Free Main Number: 1-800-829-1040

HOW DO YO GET A LIVER PERSON AT THE IRS? NOTE: This is the main number for the IRS. Please read the replies below from people who have called the IRS. They have found ways to get an agent immediately instead of going through the prompts. There is helpful information so you can skip the automation prompts and get a real IRS representative. Although the automation system they have pretty much can answer many questions you may have.

Here are some other useful numbers:

IRS E-file Help Desk Phone number: 1-866-255-0654 - Call this number for e-filing assistance.

Tax Practitioner Hotline: 1-866-860-4259 - Tax assistance for Tax Preparers. This number is only for people who prepare taxes for other tax payers.

Main Tax Assistance: 1-800-829-1040 - Tax assistance for Taxpayers. this is the IRS main number give i gave you above.

TeleTax: 1-800-829-4477 - Has recorded tax information and automated refund information. call this number if you just want to hear information and not talk to a person

IRS Business Assistance: 1-800-829-4933 - Call this number if you want to talk to an agent about your business, not your personal taxes.

Refund Status: 1-800-829-1954 - Call this number if you just want to find out what is the status of your refund. you will need the exact amount you are owed to be able to get this information. so have it ready before you call.

Social Security Administration: 1-800-772-1213 - call the Social Security office if you are having problems with your social security. i just put this number here because is useful to have.

UPDATE: if you are tired of calling and you want to bypass the automated greeting when you call, just follow the steps provided on this post: how to talk to a person when you call the irs

Hello everyone, as you know, every year as Americans, we have to pay our taxes at the beginning of the year. So I added the irs numbers here because i wanted to get the IRS phone number and it was hard to find the numbers for the irs. so i thout i should put their numbers for all the states here, if anyone asks where you can get the irs number, you can give them these numbers. be careful when you call them because its different when you call the IRS for business. if you have a business, you dont need a social security number, you need an EIN number which you have to get through the IRS.

also you can use these numbers to get an application, is call them and ask them. for example, i lived in California and texas, so it will be different for you.. i hope i was able to help you in obtaining a lookup to obtain the internal revenue service numbers. many people use these numbers for finding the status of their refund. it has been my experience when i apply for a for a ei i dont know how do i get a toll free number because there were so many for different services. so i go this number for free when i called the irs and told them i want to know how to obtain a tax estate 800. just like you and me, i used this number as reference for my irs contacts. this year i had to pay taxes i did not get a refund which sucks because my employer change my w4 to non profit, but now i have corrected it.

if you have a business or a company like an llc or corporation inc or a small business, you have to call a different number. you can use this number for like property taxes representative individual taxpayer identification sales federal school. sometimes they can help you with services like employer id. the information required to for them to give you, you will need your social security and depending on your service call, you will need a code registration for the telefile (aka efile) if you applied online on the internet through the IRS website. i have a fein so i didnt have to fill out a new form, but you will if you need a new number, tin or itin or whatever you you call it. since i live in California, all employers provides some information about your taxes, i even talked to my employer about my w9,w2,w4,ss4 forms when i was at work, so if you are calling regarding a work related question that involves your job, i would recommend that you call them from you work. otherwise, you will have to lookup your SSN support account and follow the instructions on the phone. they have an automated service which if you follow the instructions, it will give you the answer you are looking for. well, most of the times. not always.

i can't believe tomorrow is the deadline, so i better send my tax refund this year early so i get my paycheck really quick. but today i have to call the IRS because i didnt get a w2 form from my employer so according to the instructions i have to call them before i send them my refund which i dont know why. hopefully everything goes well when i call them. What im thinking its going to happen is that they will say. ok sir send your refund form and thank you for notifying us of this. i am curious to know what they are going to say, and to be honest with you i am going to get a representative or agent who has been on the phone all day. it must be a pretty hard job to do, to talk to people on the phone all day answering their tax questions. my advice, is just be calm and understand that they do this everyday, have a little patience.. oh well its 651 am now, so im thinking they will open at 7am pacific time, so i have 9 minutes to wait.

IMPORTANT!!

IF YOU EVER RECEIVE A PHONE CALL FROM SOMEONE CLAIMING TO BE THE IRS OR ANYONE FROM THE GOVERNMENT, IT IS MOST LIKELY A SCAM. THE GOVERNMENT WILL ALWAYS SEND YOU A LETTER OVER THE MAIL. TO CONFIRM ITS SOMEONE FROM THE GOVERNMENT, ASK FOR THEIR NUMBER AND CALL BACK. ASK FOR AN 800 NUMBER TO CALL BACK.

MORE IMPORTANT!!

NEVER GIVE YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER TO ANYONE WHO CALLS YOU OVER THE PHONE.. NEVER!!! THEY WILL STEAL YOUR IDENTITY. NEVER GIVE CREDIT CARD, BANK INFORMATION OR ANY PERSONAL INFORMATION

WHY DO YOU NEED THE IRS NUMBER?

Check Refund Status

Please answer the following questions to confirm you are ready to receive your refund status. Answer the following questions to find out why your refund is late.