about 4 years ago i bought several domain names with netfirms. but during that time, they were a reseller of tucows, so to manage my domains i had to go through a tucows control panel.

so today i had to transfer my domain name to another registar, so this is the process i went through

1. i buy a transfer domain name from godaddy
2. i got email from godaddy to login to my control panel and provide the authorization code i got from netfirms. once i entered the code, godaddy sent a request to my current registar (tucows)
3. two days later, i got an email from tucows to complete the transfer this is how the email looked like:

"OpenSRS Transfer" Save Address
Reminder To:
Subject: Transfer Away request has been received for the domain example.com
Date: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 12:53:38 PM

An English version of this message is contained below.

Attention: [email protected]

Re: Transfer of example.com

Tucows received notification on Mon Jul 14 01:45:24 2008that you have requested a transfer to another domain name registrar.

If you want to proceed with this transfer, you do not need to respond to this message.

If you wish to cancel the transfer (or to approve it immediately), please contact us before Sat Jul 19 01:45:24 2008by going to our website,

https://rr-n1-tor.opensrs.net/transfers/index.cgi?away=1 to confirm.

You will need to enter the following information to log in and accept or decline the transfer:

Domain Name: example.com
Transfer Key: hBTLWpzbKt

If we do not hear from you by Sat Jul 19 01:45:24 2008, the transfer will proceed.

so this is how the website looks like when i entered my codes:

Transfer Away Confirmation for example.com

A request has been received to transfer the domain example.com away from the Registrar OpenSRS.
This request was entered at 14-JUL-2008 01:45:24 by GoDaddy.com, Inc.

If this is a valid request and you wish to approve this transfer, please select the Approve box below, and then hit Submit.
If you wish to decline this transfer, please select Decline below, and then Submit.

Daytime Phone:
*required
Daytime Phone:

(eg. 416-555-1122 x 3333)

You must check one of the boxes below to specify whether you want to accept the transfer away.
Check box here to accept and approve your transfer to GoDaddy.com, Inc.
Check box here to decline the transfer to GoDaddy.com, Inc.

and this is the final step

Transfer Confirmation - Login

Domain:
Transfer Key:

after that you will see a message that says something like this:
Thank you. Your domain will be transferred to GoDaddy.com, Inc.. You may be asked to complete their confirmation processes before the domain is actually transferred away.