Get A Real Person

Reaching a real person at the IRS is difficult because you have to navigate through all the telephone prompts. In 2020 the I.R.S is making changes to many of their processes, the best why to reach a live representative at the IRS is to be prepared with all the required information that the IRS will ask you before you call. The last thing you want is to wait on hold for hours to reach a live representative only to find out you do not have all they required information and have to call back. The purpose of this informational article is to help you get to your answers fast and easy. Follow these steps to contact the IRS and get a real human being at the IRS.

Preparations:

1. Have your Social Security Ready - You will need your Social Security Number for security reason. You will be prompted to enter your Social Security Number before you can get a live agent. If you don't have a Social Security Number for your taxes, you can use a ITIN/TIN instead.
  2. Have a paper copy of your tax return - This is important before you call the IRS. Before the agent can give you any information, they will ask you personal information that is in your tax return. For example, they will ask you what is the refund amount.
  3. Pen and Paper - Have a pen and paper ready to write down information the IRS representative will ask provide you. You don't want to be hunting for something to write when you have an agent on the phone. They are not going to wait for you.
  4. Patience - Be patient and polite. Expect to be on hold for a while. It is not uncommon to wait for a real live representative for more than one hour. This is specially true during the months of February through April and this is Tax Season.

Now that you have the minimum requirements ready. The next challenge will be to go through the telephone prompts. For 2020, the IRS has changed their telephone prompts, therefore, it is important to know how to navigate through the maze. Fortunately, we have called and did the work for you. Follow these instructions. I would suggest you read them first and become familiar with these procedures. It would not hurt to review them twice.

Calling Instructions:

1. Call 1-800-829-1040 - If you are using your cellphone to call the irs. I would suggest you make sure it is fully charged or you have it connected to a charger. I would also recommend that you use a headset.
  2. Press #1 for English Speakers / 2 if you want Spanish
  3. Press #2 for Your Personal Taxes
  4. Press #1 for Your tax history
  5. Press #3 Any other questions
  6. Enter your Social Security Number on your keypad
  7. Press #2 for all tax questions
  8. The automatic system will then transfer you to a live representative

That is it. I want to wish you good luck. I know calling the IRS is not a pleasant task, however, you can make it worth your time. Remember that the other representative on the other line is a human being. They have to do this work every day and help tax payers just like you and me, and some times, people are not nice to them because they become frustrated. Remember you goal and be polite, you will go a long way by saying "Please" and "Thank you"

Good luck.