How To Format Raw Usb Drive Pen External Drive Reformat Windows Xp

Forums » Windows Hosting » How To Format Raw Usb Drive Pen External Drive Reformat Windows Xp
This Page Contains information about How To Format Raw Usb Drive Pen External Drive Reformat Windows Xp By wallpaperama with 52 Replies. Last Upated: Fri Apr 11, 2014
man, today i made a big mistake, i was installing a new OS on a new server, i had backup some files from that server on my USB external drive and i reformatted the whole drive in the process, then when i tried to get my files using a windows computer, all the data was gone, what was worst i could get any data to be saved in the drive now. so it looks like the partition was gone also.

when i tried to add a folder, this is the error i got: Unable To Create Folder

usb format

when i tried to reformat it, it didn't do anything:

usb format

so i was stuck here, i didn't know what to do next.

finally, i found the solution to this problem,

so here is how you would fix or reformat your external USB drives, whether is a disk drive or a flash card aka pen drive (pin drive??)

step1. go to start > settings > control panel (see image)

usb format

> Administrative Tools (see image)

usb format

> Computer Management (see image)

usb format

Once you are in computer management, you will see "Disk Management" select "Disk Management and on the right side, you will see your drives.
CAUTION: make sure you ONLY FOLLOW THESE STEPS ON THE DRIVE FOR ASSIGNED TO YOUR USB DRIVE. NEVER DO THE C: DRIVE. SO MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHICH LETTER IS THE YOUR USB DRIVE. I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY ON ANY DATA LOST.

now that i gave you my WARNING, lets continue. and right click on your USB Drive, in my case, its letter F: so i right click on the F: Drive and select "Format". This is how it should look like on the pictures below.

usb format

now when you have selected "Format" you will get a warning:
This is the active partition on this disk. All data on the partition will be lost. Are you sure you want to format this partition?

usb format

Since i don't have anything on my USB Drive, I click on "Yes"
after you have clicked yes, it will take you to another windows and populate your information, this is my example:
Volume label: Wolverine
Files System: NTFS
Allocation unit size: Default
[x] Perform a quick format
[ ] Enable file and folder compression

After you have populated all the fields, click OK

usb format

After you click OK, you will get a warning pop-up window:
WARNING: formatting will erase all data on this volume.
To format the volume, click OK. To quit, click Cancel.

Click OK to continue...

usb format

oh crap.. i got this error popup window:
The format did not complete successfully

usb format

UPDATE:
i figure out a way to do it through the DOS command line if the procedure i just gave you on this post doesnt work for you: try the following post:

How To Format External Usb Hard Drive To Fat32

hope that helps
shashi
but in "disk management" external device is showing unreadable..... suggest me hw to recover the data available on pen drive 8 GB.
SIVA
GO TO RUN
TIPE CMD
DOS MODE OPEN
TIPE FOEMAT AND SPACE YOUR DRIVE AND :
ENTER
WAIT
COMPLET FORMAT RAW
faihad
Iam also having this problem my 8GB pen drive is not to get format the reply is "windows unable to complete formate" pls help me
joe
do u solve ur pblm thn plz tell to me also
poovarasan
am also having problem.it shows write protected
PaulNice
Brilliant advice ! I have been trying every DOS command I could remember from childhood to fix this 7.53 GB Emtec drive. Lent it to a 'friend' who swiped it clean and unusable. Thank you so much.
kenneth
I have the same problem it ends up with the last part. What should i do.
mohamed
My 4GB transcend pen drive showing RAW file system & that couldn't formatted. What should i do? reply me fast.....
pratik
i have a 4gb sandisk disk pendrive it is showing 64 mb only and file system is showing RAM. and i can't format it also please help.
jaydip
My 4GB transcend pendrive showing RAW file system & that couldn't formmatted.
What should i do?????
reply me fast.....
Md.
I'm using Kingston 64GB pen drive.But I'm unable to format it in windows XP. But this is possible to format in windows 7. When i formatted it in win7 and then tried to connect another machine of win xp.then again same problem.During the opening time of pen drive a pop up message has shown for format drive. But same problem not formatting ... plz Give me the solution..
Srihari
very good option...!! It worked out. Thank you for the suggestion.
beginner
i think it's over when you see that kind of error message ... it's kind of hardware failure i think
harish
i have 8gb transcend pendrive i can't format it its file system is right now RAW
please give me any solution to format it...
Jake
Thank you so much for ur help!!! this is great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
nadeem
Dear, I have the same problem, i m unable to format my 4 GB pen drive, it's showing RAW file systems could u please help me. it's indeed brother my email is nadeem.chill - at - Google
bhaskar
same problem with my 2gb transcend jetflah v30.even dos format command failed.could not find any solution on net.Is there any solution?
satish
Dude help me.......
kimber
i have a Kingston 2gb.. same problem.. most of the forums said "delete partition" from disk management.. but i cant delete it.. plz help me.. also, i tried killdsk.. but wont work.. same with cmd, tried to format and change file system, but wont work.. and i also have Kingston 4gb.. but marked as "v88 v88 usb drive 5.0".. another problem, when it reaches above 600 mb., file won't be visible or accessible.. is there any problem w my 4gb?? of just firmware.. that "5.0" keeps flooding my mind.. plz help me.. :(
mohamed
i have transcend 16gb usb, it process very very slow. i formated trhu disk management.but still slow. when i format thru dos, it says raw sub. what is the solution for make faster my usb
KIRAN
MY PENDRIVE ALSO DEDICATE TO UNABLE FORMAT SHOW
waloblog
try format your usb w/ spotmau power suite bootcare disc then go to unformat, recover you usb files then go to partition genius format your flashdrive
loganathan
i also same problem if you get solution please send logucms - at - google mail
with best regards
loganathan
rakesh
i have 2gb transcend pendrive i can't format it its file system is right now RAW
please give me any solution to format it...
John
Im failing to format my 256GB pen drive,is there a such thing. please help me.
Krishnam
I am having 2 Kingston Pendrives each 4GB. all folders and some files are showed as short cuts of both pen drives. when i am trying to create a new folder immediatley it will convert into shortcut and those short cuts are not deleted even i am trying. and both pen drives are same like that even they didn't format. please give me any one the best solution for above problem.
thanks for all
vanni
wat s d solution for the format did not completed successfullt
Dipankar
I was unable to delete my pendrive date. Then I have do format through disk managemnent. But after that error massage showing "format did not complete successfully' and Iam not able to open 64 GB Pen drive.

Pls. pls....help......
shahab
problem not solved and message in command prompt is "invalid media or track 0 bad - disk unusable"
http://wallpaperama.com/forums/how-to-format-raw-usb-drive-pen-external-drive-reformat-windows-xp-t1604.html
GURURAJA
usb pendrive repair due to raw lile system we require assistance
Dharmvir
my 2 gb kingston is not format.
the error is window is write producson
Sneha
Its not formatted yet i think i formatted the pen drive and machine together.
naga
thank u very much....really the link "how to format external usb hard drive to FAT" worked for me
mohammad
i did a lot of research and i didn't find any solutions for this problem on the internet, I solve this problem by my own contact me if you interest
manoj
how i can format pen drive of file system RAW, because of this RAW system show me a message that windows was unable to complete format
Jayram
how can i format the (RAW Formate) pen drive?
Rasel
how i can format pen drive of file system RAW, because of this RAW system show me a message that windows was unable to complete format

vamsy
Thanks a Lot! it helped me! You saved a lot of time for me.
taj
i am formating 64 gb pendrive
then give me massage
the format did not complete successfully
uday
plz give me the solution for format 64gb pandrive (i try to format but one error message comming )
error message: logical disk manager
the format did not complete succesfully.
thanks
uday....
KAMAL
how to format my pen drive. it is in raw format.
messege(the format did not complete sucessfully)
pls. help
Irfan
:( i have same problem !!! :(
gUALI
thanx!!
i've recorded a disc image on my 8gb pendrive with "image writer for microsoft windows", and when i tried to format it later, windows show only 950mb .
Ashok
when i format pendrive, pendrive is shown as write protect. this file system is raw. how to convert and format raw to fat32. please tell me my e.mail
$
04-1604-cartoon-sports.jpg
1. showing " warning: formatting will erase all data on this volume. to format the volume, click ok, to quit, click cancel"

plz give me the solution for format 64gb pandrive
sahil
same as above flash pen drive with 40gb
vzouh
dear all...

try to use killdisk....
simply download it for free from killdisk and kill ur usb disk with one zero pass method...
good luck,, gbu
subhash_rim,
my usb pendrive,
the format did not complete successfully
Srinivas
my pen drive can't format. it show raw file sys. i would like to format it. pl give me the suggestion. i have 40 gb pen drive.
jeff
i tried all of the above but when i get to the "right click on the (d:) drive (which by the way is stated to be "unallocated" it does not offer the "format" option is this because of the "unallocated" thing?
WILLIAM
this information has not yet solved my problem
Title: How To Format Raw Usb Drive Pen External Drive Reformat Windows Xp [569]
Tags: how to format raw usb drive pen external drive reformat windows xp
By , 52 Comments