man, today i made a big mistake, i was installing a new OS on a new server, i had backup some files from that server on my USB external drive and i reformatted the whole drive in the process, then when i tried to get my files using a windows computer, all the data was gone, what was worst i could get any data to be saved in the drive now. so it looks like the partition was gone also.

when i tried to add a folder, this is the error i got: Unable To Create Folder

usb format

when i tried to reformat it, it didn't do anything:

usb format

so i was stuck here, i didn't know what to do next.

finally, i found the solution to this problem,

so here is how you would fix or reformat your external USB drives, whether is a disk drive or a flash card aka pen drive (pin drive??)

step1. go to start > settings > control panel (see image)

usb format

> Administrative Tools (see image)

usb format

> Computer Management (see image)

usb format

Once you are in computer management, you will see "Disk Management" select "Disk Management and on the right side, you will see your drives.
CAUTION: make sure you ONLY FOLLOW THESE STEPS ON THE DRIVE FOR ASSIGNED TO YOUR USB DRIVE. NEVER DO THE C: DRIVE. SO MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHICH LETTER IS THE YOUR USB DRIVE. I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY ON ANY DATA LOST.

now that i gave you my WARNING, lets continue. and right click on your USB Drive, in my case, its letter F: so i right click on the F: Drive and select "Format". This is how it should look like on the pictures below.

usb format

now when you have selected "Format" you will get a warning:
This is the active partition on this disk. All data on the partition will be lost. Are you sure you want to format this partition?

usb format

Since i don't have anything on my USB Drive, I click on "Yes"
after you have clicked yes, it will take you to another windows and populate your information, this is my example:
Volume label: Wolverine
Files System: NTFS
Allocation unit size: Default
[x] Perform a quick format
[ ] Enable file and folder compression

After you have populated all the fields, click OK

usb format

After you click OK, you will get a warning pop-up window:
WARNING: formatting will erase all data on this volume.
To format the volume, click OK. To quit, click Cancel.

Click OK to continue...

usb format

oh crap.. i got this error popup window:
The format did not complete successfully

usb format

UPDATE:
i figure out a way to do it through the DOS command line if the procedure i just gave you on this post doesnt work for you: try the following post:

How To Format External Usb Hard Drive To Fat32

hope that helps