If you are going to be publishing your website out on the internet, its extremely important to always make backups of your entire website. Many times have happened to our customer thay come to www.webune.com because they want to change hosting companies because their hosting company went out of business or sold them to another provider, and in the process all your files where lost, so now what? There was a scenario once where a customer came to us because she said that her web hosting company's server crashed and all the customer's data in that server were lost. I remember she telling us how disappointed she was because she had worked so hard to make her website what had come so popular and now she is loosing so much traffic because she doesn't have the files anymore.

Leason learned. Always make backup files, you should ALWAYS have a copy of your site in your home computer hard drive, if you are like me, i make a hard copy on a cd rom every other month just to be sure i have a copy of all my websites.

The Two Copy Rule

When you write your web site, you'll need two copies:

* One on your web host
* One on your hard drive

2 Reasons Why you need two copies:

1. You need a backup (you can't compromise this rule) if you dont' you will learn the hard way. You hosting company in may situations is not responsible, if you read their terms of server, they will most likely mention that you are required to make frequent backs up your site and database.

2. Usually when you change or add content, you usually test it on a local machine like your computer, then once you have tested it, you upload the final version for publishing.

Did you know that you can view your files on your hard drive before you upload them? how, just follow these steps:

1. Open your web browser like internet exploere,
2. Choose File -> Open... File, (Browse).
3. Find the folder with your HTML files.
4. Double-click the one you're working on, and presto! It's in your web browser.

I hope by reading this you already know that you should always make backups and why they are important. Ultimately, you are responsible for your site, you need to protect it in the event of loss or damage.