How To Install RPM Packages - Redhat Fedora Linux Shell Command

Forums » Linux Hosting » How To Install RPM Packages - Redhat Fedora Linux Shell Command
This Page Contains information about How To Install RPM Packages - Redhat Fedora Linux Shell Command By unix in category Linux Hosting with 38 Replies. Last Upated: Thu May 15, 2014
Red Hat RPM's have an easy way to install new software. Software installed from an RPM package differs from compiling from source in a few ways, however, the most important one of all is the software is already compiled for you. All you are doing is extracting the binaries and copying them to their selected destination. RPM's files have a ".rpm" extenstion.

The good news about RPM's is installation of new software, and maintaining the software currently installed is easier than doing so for individual packages compiled from source.

The bad news about RPM's is that you don't have as much choices about where software is installed on your system, how it is compiled, and how it s configured.

Using the RPM system is very easy. To install a package, ENTER this command:

The -i flag is for "Install"
CODE:
rpm -i filename.rpm
* filename.rpm is the name of the file that you want to extract.

NOTE: Make sure you are logged in as root to do this.
ken
hi...thx for instruction, but didn't work...got error.."libstdc++.so.5 is needed by opera-9.21-20070510.6.i386"...get this for any web browser i try to install.
nitin
sir how to install rpm packeges install in fedora ..............
sathish
yeah installed...........
it shows in the menu but when i clik it doesn't respond...........
wot 2 da????
http://wallpaperama.com/forums/how-to-install-rpm-packages-redhat-fedora-linux-shell-command-t342.html
ali
trying to install tightvnc.rpm but shell output is "not a rpm package [ or manafest ]

any hints ?
ravindra
hi
sir i am create a user ravi and i want add a membership of root so how can add a membership of root please help me............?
D.Suresh
sir how to install yum and uninstall rpms in fedora
Juvené
perfeito, funcionou beleza.... valeu ==> rpm -i xmms-xmms-mpg123.rpm para fedora core 6 :-)
muito obrigado amigo :-)
pravendra
what types of file name in rpm.
Carlos
thank you very much, this was exactly what i need to know. i'm a new user to fedora (linux, unix, etc) and i need to install some rpm files (although i'd like to know how you compile and install source files).

venki
how to install lan drivers with linux system
venki
how to install rpm pakag with lan drivers
gowtham
how to unistall a file mail me my mail id is firebits at google
CH
its nice but i need some rpm packages for playing audio and vedio tracks in core 8 if u can? plz
Dinsh
hello sir please help me
Prince
how to install rpm files in fedora9......for glut
pedro
this is what i need from you is a howto install fedora kernel rpm file koji
chella
hi there,

this is the first google page for 'install rpm fedora' serach and i installed the rpm, many thanks. keep the good work.
swamy
rpm installs
Ridoy
fedora 10 update software managenent system rpm-4.6.0.rc1.7
harinath
hai i install 5.2.3redhat softwares in my windows so i want to a some short cuts ofhow to operating system pls
and how to opetrating theand viedio file
ranjith
hi..
i am getting this error while installing rpm
]# rpm -i rdesktop-1.3.1-5.src.rpm
warning rdesktop-1.3.1-5.src.rpm: header v3 dsa signature: nokey, key id db42a60e
error: cannot create %sourcedir /usr/src/redhat/sources
shahi
HOW CAN I PLAY MUSIC PLAY ON FEDORA 9(SULPHER)
melaku
Hi all I am trying to custemize koha 3.0.05 on fedora 9,but i am tired to install zebra and get the following error [root - at - localhost Desktop]# sudo rpm -i idzebra-2.0-2.0.32-1.src. user adam does not exist - using root warning: group adam does not exist - using root so help me!!!
shrihari
[root - at - localhost ~]# rpm -i glut.rpm error: open of glut.rpm failed: No such file or directory this is the message i'm getting. what to do?
srinu
ofter install oracle 11g on linux 5.0 it showing an error , sqlplus: eroor while loading shared libraries:libctntsh.so.11 can't open shared object file: no such file or dictionary.
how to install rpm packages on linux 5.0
linuxPro
do the -i option

i = install

command:

# rpm -i whatever.rpm

unless you dont have the rpm utility installed, have you tried

yum install rpm
Sachin
HI actually i didnt knw how to open an terminal in Fedora can Someone help me please Do reply on 7sachinjoshi - at - google mail Thanks
upendra
i amn't install linux packegs
tell me one think how to install linux packegs
da
Use Yum Uninstall deapp
venkatesh
how to install rpm package in rhel5.
upendra
ctrl alt f1 prass
Rakesh
its a best command for your machine:- #yum install -y vlc
jaba
First u get in that directory where the .rpm file exists/stored. Then use the command.
pandey
abe saale apne aap ko fhansi laga le
Manoj
Please anyone suggest me to install and configure the cvs pserver
Ashish
Hi... i tried to install but get error.. error: open of picasa-3.0-current.i386.r failed: No such file or directory what i will do???
Rajesh
ye kya h ????
Cherif
yum install file.rpm

that's it
Title: How To Install RPM Packages - Redhat Fedora Linux Shell Command [397]
Tags: how to install rpm packages redhat fedora linux shell command