i have a wallpaper website and if you are going to start installing some scripts on your website, sooner or later you will come acrross files with .tar.gz extension.

so how do you open these files?

well, you open them through your command line in the shell on your linux server for example

the command to untar or to uncompres a .tar file is simple. lets say i have a file called wallpaperama.tar.gz so i would send this command to open the files inside:

tar xvf wallpaperama.tar.gz

ok, i know what you are thinking.. i dont have a shell, well, if you have a linux distribution like fedora which is free. all you have to do is right click on the file and extract it. check out this image/picture snapshot from my fedora linux computer:
20081014_6516_untar.jpg

thats it..

well, how about if you have a windows machine.. well, in windows it gets easier, BUT more expensive because you would have to buy software to open it.

however, there is a free ware software that will allow you to open it. but im not sure if its shareware or what, but its call wintar

check it out, i crated a snapshot of wintar, you use this to uncompress .tar files. wintar is like winzip to extract .zip files.
20081014_6516_wintar.jpg

hope this helps - ask me any questions or if you have any comments