Infractions Vs. Misdemeanors - What Is The Difference In The Law

Forums » Blogs » Infractions Vs. Misdemeanors - What Is The Difference In The Law
This article will explain what are the main differences between getting an infraction versus getting a misdemeanor charge on your record. there are many differences between Infractions and Misdemeanors and what the the penalties in the law between both

Infraction vs. Misdemeanor

what is the diference between Infractions vs. Misdemeanors?

An infraction is the breaking of a law. If an officer witnesses you fail to stop at a stop sign, drive above the speed limit, or make an illegal U-turn, for example, you will be given a ticket with a notice to appear in court or pay a fine.

Misdemeanors are more serious crimes such as driving without a license, drag racing, DUI, and reckless driving. If you are ticketed for a misdemeanor, you are required to appear in court. You could get jail time so you might want to hire an attorney to assist you with your case.

basically, if you got an infraction. is better than a Misdemeanor

is many states, fractions don't go on your record

also, when you apply for a job, in the application form, you will be asked if you have any Misdemeanors, if you got an infraction, then you would answer no

if you got a ticket and it says Misdemeanor, but when you went to court and the judge or district attorney worked out a plea with you for a lesser outcome as an infraction, then you did not get a Misdemeanor

if you are going to court for a Misdemeanor and you are offered an infraction instead. TAKE IT!! (unless you want to go to court of course) because if you accept the plea as an infraction, you will only pay a fine. but if you decide to go to court because you want to (ie you feel you are innocent) then you will have to convince the judge you are not guilty, but if you are not found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, you will be sentenced to a Misdemeanor and that would not be good because an infraction is a less than a Misdemeanor.

Which one did you get?, why, maybe i can help you. just tell me what happen

chris
i received a ticket for 21650c wrong side of road during construction. i was just trying to talk to the cop, which he took as "arguing". i said, please dont talk down to me. he became livid and gave me a ticket. two cars later on did the exact same thing i did, but did not get tickets, "because they did not argue" the cop said.
Michael
i just recently was pulled over at night for driving too slow and the officer smelled marijuana in the car and searched the car. he found about a 20 sack of weed in a jacket that i said belonged to my father, since it is his truck. through his search the cop also found my fake id in my wallet.
then he said i was under arrest but instead of going to jail i have a citation with a court date. so i was written up for two misdemeanors! my court date is in a month and i have no idea what to do! i can't lose my liscence....i need it to get back and forth from school and for my job. what do i do?!!
http://wallpaperama.com/forums/infractions-vs-misdemeanors-t6109.html
John
a friend of mine was driving my car - the registration hasexpired. i had told dmv of my change of address but they sent the notice of renewal to the old address so he was cited for an infarction and the owner of the vehicle (me) was asked to appear in court to explain. of course i will go - but what do i do since it was really not my fault. what do say to the judge.
kyle
alright so i was outside of my friends house smoking a cigarette with 2 other friends of which all are 18 including me. an undercover cop pulled up and there was a beer underneath the truck bed which i was sitting on and he ordered me to empty out my pockets and het then ordered me to stand up as he searched through my pockets and everything. i recieved a misdemeanor citation ticket for the minor in posession. now when i did some research on this topic i saw that a decent amount of people had had there misdemeanor changed and reduced to an infraction which seems to carry a far less severe punishment. i was wondering what circumstances usually persuade a court or judge to lower this misdemeanor charge. my record is clean and this occurred in sonoma county if you is familiar with their court systems. thanks
LP
my car has a small green light on top of the hood and i was cited for cvc 24003 (unlawful lighting)??? is the light that i have really a violation for cvc 24003?
Cody
i got charged with a misdemeanor for using a fake id at a club in sb. is there anything i can do such as classes on alcohol awareness to get the charged dropped to an infraction?
i got a ticket for and open container which really wasnt mine but i was driving my friends car and they gave me and infraction for it how much trouble am i in its my first ticket
chris
i recieved a possesion of less than a oz. of marijuana
Shustin
me and my girlfriend got pulled over for not wearing our seatbelts (california) & we both got a "fix-it ticket" for the seatbelt. and because i was driving her car and she did not have proof of insurance, i have a court date. hopefully it's simple and we just have to provide proof that we did have insurance on the car.
abel
i used my second car's tags on my expired suv plates. got stopped and sited with a misdemeaner.
Cordova
I know someone who was cited for a violation of tailgating/ while drinking in a non tailgating area. He just finished his MA in Educationwith PPS Credential to become a School Counselor. Will this undermine his ability to secure a job in the education fieldor for the County once the background is done.
Leo
I got a reckless driving and provisional ticket. I am 16 years old and have had my license for 1 month. The provisional was for having two passengers in my car and reckless driving was for something real dumb. The reckless driving was misdemeanors and having passengers was infraction. What does this mean? Thank you
peesh
i recently got caught shoplifting a $32 bra at kohls. I receieved a DUI when i was 18 but i have never had any convictions for any type of theft. Is it possible to get it dismissed with proof of good grades? Or at the least reduce to a 490.1 without a lawyer. I honestly can't afford on but my brother is one, although he can only give me advise because he has been in trouble to due to his bipolar episodes.
ricky
i got an infraction for not paying my fare on metro link
kevin
I got a Misdemeanor for turning on a red light when there is no sign saying "no right turn on red".
dog
I was sitting at a park bench with my 12 year old dog who was off the leash and was given a ticket for it.....on the citation it stated an Infraction there was a comment on the citation as well for a verbal warning for littering..my dog is old and has hip troubles..and is and never has been an aggressive dog, loves kids and is extremely well behaved ..I do have photos of her laying down next to the bench on the day of the incident and the photo shows that there were no children people or other dogs anywhere near her...her rabies shots are current however her dog license was not current on the date of the incident, but it is now. I am just curious what the process is and how much a ticket might be and how long an infraction stays on my record?
eddie
oh well i got misdemeanor because i was in my school with some friends we saw the cops outside we ran and then they went to go look for us and found us i am 16 and was out at 11pm ..what can the judge do too me ???
Kathy
I got pulled over and i don't have a CDL i got pulled over because failed to stop for people c/walk. pls help me understand what kind of trouble i'm in.
Jennifer
I was pulled over while driving with out a license. I went to court and I remember the judge saying that it was going to considered an infraction. Even the paper they gave me said infraction. I decided to do community service but was not able to complete it (86 hours, deadline was Oct 2009). The paper says that if i don't show the proof of my community service, I will not get credit, and the case will be referred to a collections agency. It also says not making the payments may cause a warrant to be issued for my arrest o more fines and suspension of my license. Any ideas of what will happen to me? Im enrolled in a University and I dont want this to affect my financial aid
ameer
Light was not on. However, when officer stopped me I already turned the lights. I took a court date to fight against.
bryan
i am 17 n i got caught drivin with alchhal in my system i think my bac was less then 0.01% and the cop took away my license and gave me a temperary one and said i got an infaction and let me go with my car..i live in california..do u think i will be able to get my licence back????
Gerard
I was out partying with some friends...decided to leave, had opened beer in my car but I wasnt drinking that night anyways so we take off and I forgot to turn my headlights on, cop pulls me over he comes to driver side and shines his light at my face and I also had a flashlight so i was dumb enough to shine my light at his face, so he calls in for back up and when his partners get there they pull me and my friends out of the car and one of the officers cuffed me and threw me in the back of his patrol car they searched my car and they find a noz tank and the beer cans but they dont find my proof of insurance (which was in my glovebox) and i thought i was going to jail that night but he let me go i got a ticket with no correctable violations they are: "VC 24400(A)- driving without headlights after dark" and "VC 160286(A)No Proof." It didnt say anywhere on the ticket that i had posession of alcohol or the noz tank.
About 2 weeks later i recieve 2 letters in the mail from my local police department stating that the officer had made a mistake on my offenses so he changed the violation codes i misplaced one but i have one its the one about no proof of insurance he changed it, it whent from "VC 16028(A)" to "VC 16828(A)NO PROOF OF INSURANCE" so i dont know what that code means now and i have to go to court and get this! my bail is $50 with proof of correction for my violations but since they are both marked with not correctable i cant pay those $50 and it also says i can bail with 1,047 with no proof of correction...my question is what do you think will happen if i go to court? why is the bail with no proof of correction so high? This is in CA by the way....can anyone help me??
Dan
I was rurning right at no traffic sign.I stoped momenterily at the stop sign and took my Rt.turn.At that moment no other cars were seen at all sides yet a cop followed me and issued me a ticket for INFRACTION.He insisted I didn't stop at the sign.This is not true.I am asked to appear on the county court.please adice what should I do.thanks
Shax
Hi, I got a speeding ticket this morning (Infraction). The officer told me that he is marking me for 3 miles over the limit (68mph against 65mph) even when the expwy limit said 45mph. He further told me that he suggests to contest in the court, so incase if he doesn't show up the ticket will be waived off. So in a nutshell I was 23mph over on a 45mph limit expwy, what should i do? Should I contest...or pay the fine or what else are my options? Thanks, Shax
INTROUBLE
I USUALLY JUST PAY THE FINE. HERE IN CALIFORNIA, YOU CAN GO TO TRAFFIC SCHOOL AND THEY WILL REMOVE THE TICKET AWAY IF YOU TAKE TRAFFIC SCHOOL.

IF YOU GO TO COURT, YOU HAVE TO GO THROUGH ALL THE DRAMA, AND NO ONE GUARANTEES YOU THAT THE POLICE GUY WILL NOT SHOW UP. IF YOU CONTEST AND YOU ARE FOUND GUILTY, YOU WILL HAVE FURTHER CONSEQUENCES, IF YOU KNOW YOU WERE SPEEDING, BEST IS YOU PAY THE TICKET AND AVOID ALL THE COURT DRAMA.
Mom
My son had the chp show up at my house looking for someone who was driving my car on the freeway and they said someone made a complaint about him shining a laser pointer at them. My son has a laser pointer and was shining it at signs along the road in rush hour. (Not good) but he denies he shone it at whatever car it was with intent to harass. Can someone just call in a plate and cause you to have to go to court for something you don't believe you intentionally did and you don't even know who is accusing you?
Jonathan
I received a ticket for illegal fireworks on the 4th of July, I got a 1,000 fine, that's all, no court date or anything like that but I cannot pay the fine. What should I do? I have until September to pay.
mg
Location: Long Beach, CA I got an "infraction" for speeding. I was going 85 in the fast lane on the freeway on a saturday morning (following the speed of traffic) The speed limit is 65. I just got off work =( What happens next? Ticket? Point on my record? Can I even argue that I was going the speed of traffic and I have a good record.
Joe
i got an infraction ticket 23223b iv had a dui 1.5 years ago. i want to know what will happen to me.
Janisha
I recently got charged withis penal code 103.205.1(b) (3). i am unsure if its a infraction or misdamenor
Abdala
I got a musdemeanor for poseesion of less than one ounce of marijuana and infraction for not obeying sign. The police told me it is 100 dollar fine. However, i would still like your feedback please.
Karen
Hi, my friend got caught with a fake ID in santa barbara. The officer wrote that it was an infraction and not a misdimeanor. I also read your blog and saw that a person named Cody asked the same question. Do you know what happened to him/her? Will my friend get her license taken away & what are the procedures? Thank you!
shawn
i was given a ticket for rolling at a stop sign, what will happen or what should i do
jesus
i received a ticket for passenger in possesion of open alcaholic beverage and my court date is on december 16 all i wanted to know was if i can go before the court date to pay the ticket and get rid of it...i didnt receive the letter everyone gets because the officer put down an old address
Chris
After a party lastnite the police pulled up to where i was. right before they pulled up someone handed me a tall can of beer. i had the beer in my hand and the police arrested me. i was drunk but they did not breathalize me all they did was give me an infraction. Minor in possesion of alcohol. but still this was not something i baought or was taking with me anywhere i just held it. i have court how can i have this not ruin my record?
Lance
I am under 18 and got an infraction for not wearing seat belt
camila
I got caugh shoplifting at macys, what can happen to me? i want to get away from a misdemeanor! whould that be possible??? please i need advise!!!!!
keri
Yes Hello, I was ticketed by a police officer who said I had violated 2818 vc. traverzse cone/ sign pattern which means I crossed over a construction area and entered an area that wasnt allowed by traffic. I did pull up to the officer asking him if I am going the wrong way and in doing so he freaked out and was a total jerk the whole time I was pulled over.
Brandon
i got an infraction on rolling a stop sign. how much is it going to cost?
Barbara
I recieved tickets in 2006& 2007 and failed TO APPEAR IN COURT(I RETUENED TO MICHIGAN DUE TO FAMILY CRISIS) I RETURNED TO CALIFORNIA AND WENT TOTraffic COURT REGARDING THESES TICKET IN 2007 ,PAID FINES RECIEVED PROBATIO0N SATISFIED THESE AND Icourt reqirements STILL FIND MYSELF GETTING REPORTS OF THESE TICKETS AS MISDEAMDERS.WHEN APPLYING FOR Empolyment.What can be done to have these records removewd or updated?
Sansei1201
I got pulled over by CHF in Yolo Co for speeding. I really thought the limit was 70, but it was 65 and he said I was going 82. As I told him I was heading to the Sac airport, and was not driving my car, he proceeded to lecture me about how the accelerator in cars are the same...blah blah blah. He was a private. Having a badge doesn't give you the right to lecture people, just give me the damn ticket and let me go. My 25yr old daughter was in the car, if she was driving maybe the lecture could be ok, but I have been driving long enough....save your speeches for someone who wants to listen to you.
Veronica
have a misdemeanor and im on a 3 year informal probation. does this stay on my record forever? for instance, when applying for a job must i say "convicted for a crime" and if so for how long must I report that?
Todd
I made a u-turn across a pretty big street in Los Angeles. I was cited with an infraction, but not allowed to correct it. How can I expunge this from my record without my insurance finding out?
abi
i got an a ticket for failing to obey official traffic law "no left turn" its because the road is under construction. and it says that i have to show up on the court. do i have a chance of getting away with it? if now, how much do i have to pay? and would it show in my dad's insurance even tho its just a "MINOR" citation?
Josh
I got pulled over for rolling a stop sign in California. When i was pulled over I had my fake ID in my wallet and tried to hide it, but the officer saw it. He asked me what it was and I told him, he then proceeded to search my car and find nothing else. He let me off for the stop sign ticket, but took my fake ID and gave me a minor in possesion of false id ticket. This is my second fake ID ticket, but the first one was a misdemeanor and let off by the court. I'm not sure if its still on my record or not. This second ticket was marked as an infraction. What are the possible consequences of this??
Diddy
I recieved a habitual truancy ticket in the city of Benicia, it was reduced to a infraction, I am not guilty ex has 85% I have 15% custody do I need a lawyer?
Bird
I was pulled over and given a ticket for driving without a license and unsafe change lane. One says is a infraction and another misdemeanor. Anyone knows what this misdemeanor will be in CA?
edefefee
the drivers license will be the misdemeanor

the change lane would be the infraction
Nicolo
I was doing a 90 on a 65 off the pch highway and my ticket is marked as an infraction.Will this effect my license and make me lose a point?
sarbjot
i was given a misdemeanor for 484 pc petty theft while working at a grocery store. the theft was $15. i have a clear history. would you please tell what do you expect could happen at a hearing that i just have in 3 weeks. would i go to jail for that??would it stay forever on my records. please reply . i am so depressed right now. I will be very thankful to you.
ty
no, they cant take u to jail for petty thefy under 500. you should be okay, ticket. and or community service. but itll be on your record unless your under the age of 18. itll be really hard to get a job, in any retail place with that on your record
Gustavo
Last night I got pulled over on an unexpected checkpoint I didn't have any alcohol in my system but the passenger ( my uncle) had drank some beers ,he was actually going to go by him self but I made the choice to risk it and go instead of him driving under the influence we were on our way to pik up my other uncle from work at about 11:00 pm and got pulled over I had no license and got a ticket with the code : 12500(A) VC and marked it as misdemeanor ..what will happen? How much will it cost? Please reply , thanks
andrew
ok so i am 17 just got 4 tickets permit violation, false plates, no insurance ,and leaving seen of property-crash can u tell me how much money i am gonna need to get out of this thank you
Laura
My sons g.f. got pulled over driving his car, she has no license.Also, for no proof of insurance( which he has,Just didn't have it in the car!) ,no headlights( she didn't have them on!)& she's 16 yrs.old
Arne
open container in the backseat floor. i received a notice of correction and proof of service. on original ticket it was marked misdemeanors and corrected to infraction what does it mean to me now , what is going to happen ?
haggir
it means you got lucky, and infraction is much better than a misdemeanor
isaac
wat ticket is 23222( b) help plea
sanchez
i have a misdemeanor and in an infraction i have court next month . when we go to jail can i still get jail time ? i'm 15 no license.
Title: Infractions Vs. Misdemeanors - What Is The Difference In The Law [1802]
Tags: infractions vs misdemeanors
By
Comments 55
Visits 14347