20080925__usb-crdrom.jpgToday I will show you how to mount the CD Rom from the shell. i wanted to mounth this external dvd rom i bought at the electronic store. it works fine with mircrosoft windows xp and vista. but when i connect it to my web server which has fedora red hat linux on it i cant find it because it does not automatically mount it. so i tried it on my linux/unix desktop and it works. i see that it automatically mounts the drive. however, on my web server, there is not GUI, so im basically have to do it the old fashion way by the shell command. i use these commands to mount the cd drive and be able to copy files i have on my disks. this is very helpful if i have some applications i want to transfer. mounting an external USB drive is much easier than having an internal drive because i can exchange it between computers and its safer because i can share it with many computer. linux has also the option to run it as a cd server. wow, yeah, i love linux, it has so many capabilities. but as a linux admin, you have to know how to send comands and be familiar with them. and the mount command is such example where you need to know what commands to send when you are mounting a drive. once you have it mounted, you can navigate just like any other directory. so here we go

send the mount command:
mount /dev/cdrom

Thats all! to see the files in your cdrom disk, just executed the following command:

cd /media/cdrom

For Red Hat Enterprise Edition Version 3 use this:
cd /mnt/cdrom

once you are in the cdrom directory, typ ls to list all the files in your cd

very easy huh!

note: I was using Redhat/Fedora for this example.

if you would like to help me, i would like to know what brand and model of USB drive you are using, this way we all will be able to learn from each other, the more information you can provide, the more people like you will be able to find this post so that they can also learn how to put and install an external usb drive in their computer.

thank you